The Coffee Bean Ear Warmer is a free crochet pattern that uses the bean stitch to make a stylish, buttoned ear warmer. Keep reading for the free crochet pattern.
The Coffee Bean Ear Warmer is Part of a Whole Winter Set
The Coffee Bean Ear Warmer even compliments several other patterns that I've designed in the past. The bean stitch works so nicely with Scarfie yarn and the texture becomes pillow soft. Make some of the other Coffee Bean patterns to make a complete winter set.
Seven Days of Scarfie Pattern Collection #4
This pattern is part of my Seven Days of Scarfie pattern collections. Whether you are new to Seven Days of Scarfie or you have been making along with me every single year; I am so happy you are joining in the fun! Seven Days of Scarfie started on a total whim in 2016, and I have gotten so much positive feedback on the patterns that I just keep going with it every year.
I hope that you love each of these pattern collections as much as I do!
- START HERE: This will give you all the information you need about the supplies you will need, you can find the patterns I have released so far in this year’s collection along with the patterns from previous Seven Days of Scarfie pattern collections.
- If you want to interact with others participating in Seven Days of Scarfie, I urge you to join my Facebook Community.
- If you want to be notified of each new Seven Days of Scarfie pattern directly – please sign up for my Newsletter
- If you are on Instagram I would LOVE to see your work! Use @leftinknots and #sevendaysofscarfie so I can see it!
Yarn Substitutes for Scarfie Yarn
Ever since I started Seven Days of Scarfie, I’ve been asked a lot about yarn that can be substituted when Scarfie isn’t available or wool is an issue. The good news is that you can substitute almost any worsted weight yarn or light Category 5 yarn for this pattern! Since scarves aren’t particularly fitted you don’t even need to worry about gauge. Just add or subtract length as desired if your yarn is a different weight category. If you are looking for yarn similar to Lion Brand Scarfie yarn, check out my list of recommended substitutes here.
Show off Your Crochet Projects
Coffee Bean Ear Warmer - Free Crochet Pattern
- Approx. 65 yards of Lion Brand Scarfie Yarn (‘Cream/Taupe’ pictured) or a comparable Category 4/5 yarn.
- J/6.0mm crochet hook - I love Clover Amour
- Scissors - I always keep these travel scissors in my hook case
- Yarn needle
- 3/4” Button
Abbreviations (written in U.S. terms):
- ch: chain
- sl st: slip stitch
- HDC: half double crochet
- HDC2Tog: half double crochet two together
- Bean: bean stitch
Bean Stitch: insert hook into stitch, YO, pull up a loop, YO, insert hook into same stitch, YO, pull up a loop, YO, insert hook into same stitch, YO, pull up a loop, YO, pull through all 6 loops on your hook.
Related Video Tutorials:
How to Crochet the Mini Bean Stitch - PLEASE NOTE that this video demonstrates a smaller version of the bean stitch. I am putting the video here so that you can see the basic concept of the stitch, but please follow the description of the bead stitch as written in the ‘ Special Stitch’ section above. Find the Left Handed version of this video here.
7 sts x 5 rows = 2” square in HDC
- The chain stitches at the beginning of each row do not count as a stitch.
- This pattern is written to fit an average adult. The size can easily be adjusted by adding or subtracting rows between Rows 12-38
Row 1: HDC in third ch from the hook and HDC across (7)
Row 2: ch 2, HDC across (7)
Row 3: ch 2, HDC in 2, ch 3, skip 3 sts, HDC in last 2 sts (7)
Row 4-6: ch 2, HDC across (7)
Row 7: ch 2, 2 HDC in first st, HDC in next 5, 2 HDC in last st (9)
Row 8: ch 2, HDC across (9)
Row 9: ch 2, 2 HDC in first st, HDC in next 7, 2 HDC in last st (11)
Row 10: ch 2, HDC in 3, Bean, ch 1, sk 1, Bean, ch 1, sk 1, Bean, HDC in 3 (11)
Row 11: ch 2, 2 HDC in first st, HDC in next 2, Bean, ch 1, sk 1, Bean, ch 1, sk 1, Bean, HDC in 2, 2 HDC in last st (13)
Row 12-38: ch 2, HDC in 4, Bean, ch 1, sk 1, Bean, ch 1, sk 1, Bean, HDC in 4 (13)
Row 39: ch 2, HDC2tog, HDC in 2, Bean, ch 1, sk 1, Bean, ch 1, sk 1, Bean, HDC in 2, HDC2tog (11)
Row 40: ch 2, HDC across (11)
Row 41: ch 2, HDC2tog, HDC in 7, HDC2tog (9)
Row 42: ch 2, HDC across (9)
Row 43: ch 2, HDC2tog, HDC in 5, HDC2tog (7)
Row 44-48: ch 2, HDC across (7)
Tie off yarn and weave in ends. Attach the button in the center of Rows 44-48.
More Free Crochet Patterns You'll Love
Find all FREE CROCHET PATTERNS here
Now the legal stuff...You may sell items made from this pattern, but please credit me as the original designer. Also, please do not share the written pattern in print or electronically. The photos on this webpage belong to Megan Meyer of Left in Knots and may not be used for product sales/product listings. You may share a link back to my blog if you would like someone else to see or work with this pattern. Thank you for your cooperation and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me!
This post contains affiliate links. I receive a small commission for any purchases made through these links at no additional charge to you.