The crochet Autumn Chill Scarf pattern makes a modern triangle scarf with textured stitches. Use just one skein of Caron Cakes yarn. Keep reading for the free crochet pattern.
I couldn't help myself! I liked my Open-Air Market Scarf so much that I had to make another in a similar asymmetrical style. I also wanted an excuse to make another Caron Cakes Yarn project. The Crochet Autumn Chill Scarf is the same shape and size as the Open-Air Market Scarf, but it is a little heavier and warmer and, when made with Caron Cakes Funfetti, has bold color blocks of beautiful autumn tones.
Show off Your Crochet Projects
- Caron Cakes Yarn (Funfetti): I used every inch of one skein. It was so close that I definitely recommend having an extra on hand just in case!
- J/6.0 Crochet Hook (I used Clover Amour)
- Yarn needle
- St: stitch
- Ch: Chain
- HDC: Half double crochet
- DC: Double crochet
- HDC2Tog: Half double crochet two together
- Bobble: *YO, insert hook into st, YO, pull through st, YO, pull through two loops, repeat from * 4 times always inserting hook into the same st (you will end up with 5 loops on your hook). YO, pull through all 5 loops.
- DCX: Double crochet X-stitch- YO, skip one stitch and insert hook into the next st. YO, pull through st, YO, pull through 2 loops, YO, pull through 2 loops. YO, insert hook into the previously skipped stitch, YO, pull through st, YO, pull through 2 loops, YO, pull through 2 loops.
4” square = 15 sts x 9 rows of HDC
- Ch stitches at the beginning of Ch 2 rows do not count as a stitch
- Ch stitches at the beginning of Ch 3 rows DO count as a stitch
- Gauge isn’t particularly important for this pattern.
Row 1: Start in third ch from the hook and HDC across (69)
Row 2: Ch 3 (this counts as one stitch in your bobble), *bobble, ch 1, skip 1, repeat from * across (35 bobbles)
Row 3: Ch 2, HDC2Tog, HDC across (68)
Row 4: Ch 2, HDC across until you reach the last two stitches, HDC2TOG in the last two stitches (67)
Row 5: Ch 2, DCX across until 1 st remains. DC in the last st of the row. (33 DCX sts)
Row 6: Ch 2, HDC across until you reach the last two stitches, HDC2TOG in the last two stitches (66)
Row 7: Ch 2, HDC2TOG, HDC across (65)
Row 8-103: Continue repeating rows 2-7, while continuing to decrease your stitch count on the same side of the piece in the HDC rows. Ultimately this will form a large asymmetrical triangle as pictured in my Open-Air Market Scarf pattern. When you reach row 103, tie off yarn and weave in ends.
More Free Crochet Patterns You'll Love
Find all FREE CROCHET PATTERNS here
Now the legal stuff...You may sell items made from this pattern, but please credit me as the original designer. Also, please do not share the written pattern in print or electronically. The photos on this webpage belong to Megan Meyer of Left in Knots and may not be used for product sales/product listings. You may share a link back to my blog if you would like someone else to see or work with this pattern. Thank you for your cooperation and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me!
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting free patterns and yarn deals from Left in Knots!