The Crochet Autumn Chill Slouchy Hat is a free crochet pattern that uses less than one skein of Caron Cakes yarn.
Happy Monday, readers! Today I have my first of (hopefully) THREE free patterns for you this week. If you can't tell from my Autumn Chill Scarf and my Autumn Chill Angled Super Scarf, I am loving this stitch pattern! So this week you will be getting a few more Autumn Chill patterns-starting with this one. The Autumn Chill Slouchy Hat. Cozy and colorful, this hat works up quickly and would be a great addition to your Christmas gift "to-make" list.
The size of this hat is super easy to adjust because you can change the chain size in multiples of 2! This pattern is written to fit an average adult head, so size up or down as you see fit.
Show off Your Crochet Projects
- Caron Cakes Yarn (I used the Funfetti colorway)-approx. 226 yards including the pom pom
- 6.0 mm crochet hook (I used Clover Amour)
- Clover Pom Pom Maker 3-⅜” size
- Yarn needle
- St: stitch
- Ch: Chain
- HDC: Half double crochet
- DC: Double crochet
- HDC2Tog: Half double crochet two together
- Bobble: *YO, insert hook into st, YO, pull through st, YO, pull through two loops, repeat from * 4 times always inserting hook into the same st (you will end up with 5 loops on your hook). YO, pull through all 5 loops.
- DCX: Double crochet X-stitch- YO, skip one stitch and insert hook into the next st. YO, pull through st, YO, pull through 2 loops, YO, pull through 2 loops. YO, insert hook into the previously skipped stitch, YO, pull through st, YO, pull through 2 loops, YO, pull through 2 loops.
4” square = 15 sts x 9 rows of HDC
- This hat is worked from the bottom up
- Ch stitches at the beginning of rounds do not count as a stitch
- At the end of each round, attach with a slip stitch to the first stitch of that round
- The size of this hat can be easily adjusted. Decrease or increase in increments of two.
- Rounds ¾ and ⅞ will require a turn to ensure the bobble is on the outside of the project.
Ch 62, attach the last ch to the first ch with a sl st to form a large ring. Make sure there are no twists.
Round 1-2: Ch 1, HDC around (62)
Round 3: Ch 3, TURN your work (as if you were working in rows), *Bobble, DC, repeat from * around (31 bobbles, 31 DC)
Round 4: Ch 1, TURN your work, HDC around (62)
Round 5: Ch 2, DCX around (31 DCX stitches)
Round 6: Ch 1, HDC around (62)
Round 7: Ch 3, TURN your work, *Bobble, DC, repeat from * around (31 bobbles, 31 DC)
Round 8: Ch 1, TURN your work, HDC around (62)
Round 9-11: Ch 1, HDC around (62)
Round 12: Ch 2, DCX around (32 DCX stitches)
Round 13-16: Ch 1, HDC around (62)
Round 17: Ch 2, DCX around (32 DCX stitches)
Round 18-21: Ch 1, HDC around (62)
Round 22: Ch 2, DCX around (32 DCX stitches)
Round 23-26: Ch 1, HDC around (62)
Round 27: Ch 2, DCX around (32 DCX stitches)
Round 28: Ch 1, HDC around
Tie off yarn leaving a long tail. Using a yarn needle, weave the tail through every other stitch to cinch the top together. Tie yarn again after cinching and weave in ends. Make a large pom pom (I made a 3-⅜” pom pom) and tie it to the top of the hat. Weave in all ends.
More Free Crochet Patterns You'll Love
Find all FREE CROCHET PATTERNS here
Now the legal stuff...You may sell items made from this pattern, but please credit me as the original designer. Also, please do not share the written pattern in print or electronically. The photos on this webpage belong to Megan Meyer of Left in Knots and may not be used for product sales/product listings. You may share a link back to my blog if you would like someone else to see or work with this pattern. Thank you for your cooperation and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me!
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting free patterns and yarn deals from Left in Knots!