Crochet the Autumn Chilled Ear Warmer with textured stitches, one skein of yarn and this free crochet pattern.
I wanted to do an ear warmer pattern for a couple of reasons. First, some people just prefer them! They work up super fast and they don't squish your hair down. Second, I wanted to show you this stitch pattern in a yarn other than Caron Cakes. All of my previous Autumn Chill patterns were made with Caron Cakes yarn, but an ear warmer just isn't big enough to make that "color block" effect work. I think it looks equally beautiful with Red Heart Boutique Treasure Yarn. It is a slightly bulkier yarn, but I still used a 6.0 mm crochet hook and the size of the ear warmer turned out perfectly!
This would be another perfect pattern to add to your holiday "to-make" list. Fast, beautiful and it requires less than one skein of yarn!
Show off Your Crochet Projects
- Red Heart Boutique Treasure (I used the Floral colorway)
- 6.0 mm crochet hook (I used Clover Amour)
- Yarn needle
- St: stitch
- Ch: Chain
- HDC: Half double crochet
- DC: Double crochet
- Bobble: *YO, insert hook into st, YO, pull through st, YO, pull through two loops, repeat from * 4 times always inserting hook into the same st (you will end up with 5 loops on your hook). YO, pull through all 5 loops.
- DCX: Double crochet X-stitch- YO, skip one stitch and insert hook into the next st. YO, pull through st, YO, pull through 2 loops, YO, pull through 2 loops. YO, insert hook into the previously skipped stitch, YO, pull through st, YO, pull through 2 loops, YO, pull through 2 loops.
4” square = 14 sts x 8 rows of HDC
- Ch stitches at the beginning of rounds do not count as a stitch
- At the end of each round, attach with a slip stitch to the first stitch of that round
- The size of this ear warmer can be easily adjusted. Decrease or increase in increments of two.
- Rounds ¾ and ⅞ will require a turn to ensure the bobble is on the outside of the project.
Ch 60, attach the last ch to the first ch with a sl st to form a large ring. Make sure there are no twists.
Round 1-2: Ch 1, HDC around (60)
Round 3: Ch 3, TURN your work (as if you were working in rows), *Bobble, DC, repeat from * around (30 bobbles, 30 DC)
Round 4: Ch 1, TURN your work, HDC around (60)
Round 5: Ch 2, DCX around (30 DCX stitches)
Round 6: Ch 1, HDC around (60)
Round 7: Ch 3, TURN your work, *Bobble, DC, repeat from * around (30 bobbles, 30 DC)
Round 8: Ch 1, TURN your work, HDC around (60)
Round 9: Ch 1, HDC around (60)
More Free Crochet Patterns You'll Love
Find all FREE CROCHET PATTERNS here
Now the legal stuff...You may sell items made from this pattern, but please credit me as the original designer. Also, please do not share the written pattern in print or electronically. The photos on this webpage belong to Megan Meyer of Left in Knots and may not be used for product sales/product listings. You may share a link back to my blog if you would like someone else to see or work with this pattern. Thank you for your cooperation and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me!
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting free patterns and yarn deals from Left in Knots!