The crochet Puffs Hat has a spiral design of puff stitches and is accented with special pom pom ties. Keep reading for the free crochet pattern.
When I made my Puffs Mod Scarf-I mentioned that I had to borrow from another skein to make the tassels- so of course I had to use that skein to make a matching hat! The Spiral Puffs Slouchy is a stylish and modern bonnet-style slouchy hat that you can embellish with pom poms or tassels. The puffs work up in an interesting spiral pattern giving the hat a little bit of extra texture. And because it's made with Scarfie yarn, you know it will be so warm and squishy!
Seven Days of Scarfie Crochet Pattern Collection #1
This pattern is part of my Seven Days of Scarfie pattern collections. Whether you are new to Seven Days of Scarfie or you have been making along with me every single year; I am so happy you are joining in the fun! Seven Days of Scarfie started on a total whim in 2016, and I have gotten so much positive feedback on the patterns that I just keep going with it every year.
I hope that you love each of these pattern collections as much as I do!
- START HERE: This will give you all the information you need about the supplies you will need, you can find the patterns I have released so far in this year’s collection along with the patterns from previous Seven Days of Scarfie pattern collections.
- If you want to interact with others participating in Seven Days of Scarfie, I urge you to join my Facebook Community.
- If you want to be notified of each new Seven Days of Scarfie pattern directly – please sign up for my Newsletter
- If you are on Instagram I would LOVE to see your work! Use @leftinknots and #sevendaysofscarfie so I can see it!
Show off Your Crochet Projects
Puffs Hat - Free Crochet Pattern
- Lion Brand Scarfie Yarn - approx. 230 yards
- I/5.5 mm crochet hook (I used Clover Amour)
- Yarn needle
- Scissors (I always keep these travel scissors in my hook case)
- Pom Pom Maker (optional)
- Ch: chain
- Sl st: slip stitch
- SC: single crochet
- HDC: half-double crochet
- HDC2tog: half-double crochet two together
- Puff: (Yarn over hook and pull up a loop) repeat 5 times in the next stitch. You will have 11 loops on your hook. Yarn over and pull through all 11 loops.
11 sts x 8 rows in HDC = 4" square
Diameter = approx. 11"
Height from top of hat to bottom of brim (excluding pom pom) = approx. 10.25"
- The chain stitches at the beginning of each row do not count as a stitch.
- The end of each round is attached to the first stitch of that same round with a sl st
- This project was worked with a fairly tight tension, so make sure to check your gauge!
Ch 64, attach to the first ch with a sl st. Ensure there are no twists
Round 1: Ch 1, HDC around (64)
Round 2: Ch 1, HDC, *puff, HDC, puff, HDC in 13, repeat from * two more times, puff, HDC, puff, HDC in 12 (each round will now have 4 sets of 2 puffs and a total of 64 sts)
Round 3: Ch 1, HDC in 3, *puff, HDC, puff, HDC in 13, repeat from * two more times, puff, HDC, puff, HDC in 10
Round 4: Ch 1, HDC in 5, *puff, HDC, puff, HDC in 13, repeat from * two more times, puff, HDC, puff, HDC in 8
Round 5: Ch 1, HDC in 7, *puff, HDC, puff, HDC in 13, repeat from * two more times, puff, HDC, puff, HDC in 6
Round 6: Ch 1, HDC in 9, *puff, HDC, puff, HDC in 13, repeat from * two more times, puff, HDC, puff, HDC in 4
Round 7: Ch 1, HDC in 11, *puff, HDC, puff, HDC in 13, repeat from * two more times, puff, HDC, puff, HDC in 2
Round 8: Ch 1, HDC in 13, *puff, HDC, puff, HDC in 13, repeat from * two more times, puff, HDC, puff
Round 9: Ch 1, HDC, Puff, HDC in 13, *puff, HDC, puff, HDC in 13, repeat from * two more times, puff
Round 10-17: Repeat rounds 2-9
Round 18: Ch 1, *HDC in 14, HDC2Tog, repeat from * around (60)
Round 19: Ch 1, *HDC in 13, HDC2Tog, repeat from * around (56)
Round 20: Ch 1, *HDC in 12, HDC2Tog, repeat from * around (52)
Round 21: Ch 1, *HDC in 11, HDC2Tog, repeat from * around (50)
Round 22: Ch 1, *HDC in 10, HDC2Tog, repeat from * around (48). Tie off leaving a long tail. Use the tail to cinch the top of the hat shut
Adding the brim: Attach your yarn in desired location with a sl st. Ch 1, HDC in 36 sts. Ch 1, turn and HDC across. Continue HDC rows until you have 5 rows.
At the end of your 5th row, ch 10, SC in the second ch from the hook. Continue to SC across the rest of the chain and around the entire edge of the hat. When you reach the other side of the brim, ch 10, SC in second ch from the hook and across the whole ch. When you are back to the last row of the brim, attach with a sl st and tie off. Make and attach pom poms where desired. I made one large pom pom for the top of the hat and two smaller pom poms for the sides. Weave in all ends and you're done!
More Free Crochet Patterns You'll Love
Find all FREE CROCHET PATTERNS here
Now the legal stuff...You may sell items made from this pattern, but please credit me as the original designer. Also, please do not share the written pattern in print or electronically. The photos on this webpage belong to Megan Meyer of Left in Knots and may not be used for product sales/product listings. You may share a link back to my blog if you would like someone else to see or work with this pattern. Thank you for your cooperation and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me!
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting free patterns and yarn deals from Left in Knots!