Crochet alphabet ABC squares can be made easily with single crochet stitches and cross stitch. Or if you would like bigger squares, try using these graphs for a C2C crochet project. Keep reading for the free crochet pattern.
Crochet Alphabet Squares with Many Uses
These crochet alphabet abc squares are the first in a set for a complete crochet alphabet. I used these graphs to make squares for plush blocks. You could also use these squares for pillows, blankets and more.
Cross Stitch on Crochet
My crochet blocks use a combination of SC stitches and cross stitching on top of crochet. You could also use only SC stitches working the color changes as you go, or convert it to a C2C project.
While planning this project, I ended up working these grids in 3 different ways and got the following dimensions using an H-hook:
- Double-crochet C2C (see my owl graph here): 26" x 26"
- Single-crochet 2 sts x 2 sts per pixel: 14" x 16"
- Single-crochet 1 st x 1 st per pixel (with cross stitch on top-pictured): 9" x 9"
Share Your Crochet Projects
More Crochet Alphabet Squares
The following are helpful links for this project, including patterns for additional blocks and two video tutorials to help you with assembly!
Crochet Alphabet D E F: D is for Dog (or Deer), E is for Elephant, F is for Fox
Crochet Alphabet G H I: G is for Gecko, H is for Hippo, I is for Inchworm
Crochet Alphabet J K L: J is for Jellyfish, K is for Koala, L is for Lion
Crochet Alphabet M N O: M is for Monkey, N is for Narwhal, O is for Owl
Crochet Alphabet P Q R: P is for Penguin, Q is for Quetzal, R is for Raccoon
Crochet Alphabet S T U: S is for Sheep, T is for Turtle, U is for Unicorn
Crochet Alphabet V W X: V is for Vampire Bat, W is for Whale, X is for X-ray Tetra
Crochet Alphabet Y Z: Y is for Yak, Z is for Zebra
Crochet Cross Stitch Video Tutorial: I have also made a quick video tutorial on how I cross stitch on crochet. I hope you find it helpful!
Assembling a Crochet Block Video Tutorial: This video shows you how I have been assembling my blocks. It is a method that can be used with any size of project!
A is for Ant
- Black (any) for the letter 'A' and the outline/face of the ant
- Vanna's Choice 'Dark Grey' for the ant's body
- White (any) for the ant's eyes
- Red Heart "Pretty n Pink' for the background
B is for Bunny
- Black (any) for the letter 'B' and the bunny's eye
- Vanna's Choice 'Silver Grey' for the bunny's body
- White (any) for the bunny's eyes
- Bernat Baby Blanket 'White' for the Bunny's fluffy tail (optional, use single strand of this or double strand of worsted white yarn)
- Red Heart "Pretty n Pink' for ears and nose
- Red Heart 'Baby Pink' for background
C is for Chipmunk
- Black (any) for the letter 'C', the eyes and the mouth
- Red Heart Soft 'Toast' for the dark stripes
- Red Heart Soft 'Wheat' for the face
- Loops and Threads Impeccable 'Chocolate Brown' for the nose
- White (any) for the teeth
- Vanna's Choice 'Berrylicious' for background
More Free Crochet Patterns You'll Love
Find all FREE CROCHET PATTERNS here
Now the legal stuff...You may sell items made from this pattern, but please credit me as the original designer. Also, please do not share the written pattern in print or electronically. The photos on this webpage belong to Megan Meyer of Left in Knots and may not be used for product sales/product listings. You may share a link back to my blog if you would like someone else to see or work with this pattern. Thank you for your cooperation and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me!
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting free patterns and yarn deals from Left in Knots!