The Port Beanie is the perfect gender neutral crochet beanie that can be made for anyone! With subtle texture and rich color it's a perfect combination and so fast to make! Keep reading for the free crochet pattern.
Quickly Finish Your Holiday Gifts or Craft Fair Inventory
Welcome to another pattern in our Seven ONEderful Skeins pattern collection. The Port Beanie is one of those wonderful crochet patterns that is SO fast to make. It uses very little yarn, but it still includes some beautiful texture in the stitches.
Seven ONEderful Skeins
Welcome to Seven ONEderful Skeins - the spin off from my popular Seven Days of Scarfie pattern event. This year all of our patterns will be made with one skein of simple worsted weight acrylic, BUT I also made them with Lion Brand Scarfie yarn. You get to decide what yarn you're going to use. But one way or the other - we are going to make 7 projects in 7 days with 7 skeins (or less) of yarn!
I hope that you love each of these pattern collections as much as I do!
- START HERE: This will give you all the information you need about the supplies you will need, you can find the patterns I have released so far in this year’s collection along with the patterns from previous Seven Days of Scarfie pattern collections.
- If you want to interact with others participating in Seven ONEderful Skeins, I urge you to join my Facebook Community.
- If you want to be notified of each new Seven ONEderful Skeins pattern directly – please sign up for my Newsletter
- If you are on Instagram I would LOVE to see your work! Use @leftinknots and #7onederfulskeins so I can see it!
A Perfect Gender Neutral Beanie
You can see that I crocheted the Port Beanie in both worsted weight acrylic yarn and Lion Brand Scarfie yarn. And as you can also see - changing the yarn completely changes the look of the hat! What you don't lose is that lovely subtle texture that the stitches create. Change up your yarn to make this perfect gender neutral hat for anyone in your life.
Show off Your Crochet Projects
Don’t forget to share pictures of your projects with me in my Facebook Group or by tagging @leftinknots on Instagram. I can’t wait to see what you make!
Port Beanie - Free Gender Neutral Crochet Pattern
- Approx. 135 yards of Lion Brand Scarfie yarn or a comparable Category 4 yarn (Lion Brand Basic Stitch also pictured). Find some of my Scarfie substitution suggestions here.
- I/5.5mm crochet hook - I love Clover Amour.
- Yarn needle
- Scissors - I always keep these travel scissors in my hook case
- (optional) Faux fur pom pom or pom pom maker
Abbreviations (written in U.S. terms):
- ch: chain
- st(s): stitch(s)
- sl st: slip stitch
- BLO: back loop only
- SC: single crochet
- HDC: half double crochet
Related Video Tutorial:
How to Crochet in the 3rd Loop (find the left handed video here)
4" diameter after Round 5
Length (unjoined): 9.25"
- Chain stitches at the beginning of rounds do not count as a stitch.
- The end of each round is joined to the first st of the round with a sl st.
*If you love Seven ONEderful Skeins and want to help me in a very simple way - I would appreciate any and all Pins and Ravelry saves! It helps me out so much! Thank you 💜
Round 1: ch 2, 10 HDC in magic circle (10)
Round 2: ch 2, 2 HDC in each st around (20)
Round 3: ch 2, *2 HDC, HDC, repeat from * around (30)
Round 4: ch 2, *2 HDC, HDC in next two sts, repeat from * around (40)
Round 5: ch 2, *2 HDC, HDC in next three sts, repeat from * around (50)
Round 6: ch 2, *2 HDC, HDC in next four sts, repeat from * around (60)
Round 7: ch 2, BLO HDC in each st around
Round 8-9: ch 2, HDC in the 3rd loop in each st around
Round 10: ch 2, BLO HDC in each st around
Round 11: ch 2, HDC in each st around
Round 12-16: repeat Rounds 7-11
Round 17-20: repeat Rounds 7-10
Round 21: ch 1, SC in each st around.
Making the Brim
Starting where you ended Round 21, ch 9 sts. In the second chain from the hook, SC in the remaining 8 ch stitches. When you get back to the beginning of the ch, sl st into the first st of Round 21. This creates your first row of ribbing.
Row 2: sl st into the next st of Round 21, ch 1, SC in BLO across to create your next row of ribbing. Turn. (8)
Row 3: ch 1, SC in BLO across. Sl st into the next open st of Round 21. (8)
Row 4-60: Repeat Rows 2 (on even rows) and 3 (on odd rows) until you have gone around the entire base of the hat.
After completing Row 60: Working through the BLO of Row 60 and your starting chain, sl st across to seam the cuff together. sl st into the last st of Round 21. Tie off yarn and weave in ends.
More Free Crochet Patterns You'll Love
Find all FREE CROCHET PATTERNS here
Now the legal stuff...You may sell items made from this pattern, but please credit me as the original designer. Also, please do not share the written pattern in print or electronically. The photos on this webpage belong to Megan Meyer of Left in Knots and may not be used for product sales/product listings. You may share a link back to my blog if you would like someone else to see or work with this pattern. Thank you for your cooperation and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me!
This post contains affiliate links. I receive a small commission for any purchases made through these links at no additional charge to you.